In the Community
There are several opportunities for supporting members to lend talent and services that can help us achieve our mission of providing funding and assistance that make a lasting impact in our local nonprofit community. Hanscom FCU Charitable Foundation, Inc. will work to bring together new donors and new dollars each year offering additional and non-traditional resources to our community.
Below are some examples that would fall within the scope of Foundation activities:
- We are excited to be a new partner of the Home Base Program to which we committed $100,000 this year. We began by sponsoring the Run to Home Base, a 5K run/walk for 2,600 participants. This popular event has provided $9 million over the past four years to support Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and families heal the invisible wounds of war – post traumatic stress and traumatic brain injury – through clinical care, education and research. Our support will continue this fall as a sponsor of the Home Base Program Mission Gratitude fundraising event where we will team up for our nation’s heroes.
- Recently, we made a $5,000 donation to construct the master bedroom in a new specially adapted home in Hopkinton New Hampshire for Army SSG Matthew Dewitt who sustained devastating injuries during a rocket attack when serving in Iraq.
- Support the many programs and services for children and families provided through Children's Hospital Boston, including support of patient care programs, professional and community education, advocacy for the health and safety of children, and pediatric research. This year we continued our fundraising for Children’s Hospital Boston through the Boston Marathon sponsoring our patient partner Andy Martin JR as a wheelchair entrant and Director Ray Phillips as a runner. Thanks to our supportive members, we raised $33,948, a record breaking amount.
- Hanscom collaborates every year with the Hanscom AFB thrift shop to help members, volunteers and staff get books in the hands of children who can benefit most. We proudly contributed 3,607 books to the Massachusetts Credit Union League’s statewide book drive, books now headed toward kids in shelters, hospitals and other non-profits throughout the state.
- Preparing meals on a periodic basis for guests at Fisher House Boston on the campus of the West Roxbury VA Medical Center. Fisher House is a nonprofit program that provides free lodging to families caring for veterans treated at VA facilities around the country.
- Work with New England Center for Homeless Veterans to support their work with veterans dealing with challenges such as addiction, trauma, mental illness and unemployment.
- Commemorate Veterans Day by collecting and donating personal care, entertainment and clothing items to the VA Boston Healthcare System. This provides much-needed items to those receiving care at the West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain and Brockton facilities.
- The credit union provides staff to administer this annual program to collect and distribute holiday gifts and clothing for needy military families, working with Hanscom AFB Airman and Family Readiness Center.
- Members and employees alike support the MCH through various fundraising efforts. Employees frequently support the MCH by participating in raffles and, on occasion, making donations in exchange for a casual-dress day at work. We are in the midst of a $10,000 cash raffle to raise funds for the Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless. Tickets are $20 each with only 1,500 available tickets your chances of winning are excellent with all proceeds over the cash prize going to this important cause.
- Hanscom supports the American Cancer Society by annually sponsoring a team to walk in a local community’s Relay for Life event.